Brewday - American Strong Pale Ale - York Brewery Home Brew Club Challenge
Well having just brewed a super hopped American IPA I thought I would go for the challenge anyway but try a slightly different approach to an American Pale, it might be a bit off style guidelines, but we shall see. I used Magnum for bittering and a mix of Fuggles, Saaz and Target. So a bit of an American British crossover, also a good mix of grains. Having read somewhere that adding a bit of dark grain to the mix can really help fermentation I did add a little roasted barley, the result as you can see is my pale might not actually be very pale, lol. But the judging will be in the tasting of course, maybe I’ve created a new style? Or with the cara and amber malts it could be seen to be a Ruby Pale?
Anyway the brewing went very well, suspending my brewbag in my insulated mash tun did the trick. Although I did loose a little extra heat and was down to 55c by the end of the mash after starting at 70c, but having done a 90min mash I don’t think this was too much of a problem. I got reasonable efficiency, having researched I think I’ve been sparging too fast, so need a bit of practice with that, but seemed to get a good load of quality wort. Ended up at 42 gravity, which was a bit lower than I was aiming for, this is the next thing I’ll be working on improving. I bumped up the gravity with 500g of brewing sugar, so should hit about 5% if the fermentation goes well.
It’ll be in interesting take on a US Pale though and I really look forward to seeing how it turns out, fermentation is into day two and going well. I’ll be dry hopping at the end of the week.
More reports to come…